Friday, May 2, 2014

Serving Up 2014 Bead Soup





 How I Got From This.....



                                                                        ........... To This

I have to start by saying that I struggled mightily with this years soup! I love the beads that my partner Johana Nunez sent to me. She does amazing enameled beads. I've always wanted to work with them so I was really excited when I opened her package and found a treasure of them! As I began to play with the beads, I had a definite vision for what I wanted to end up with, I'm just not sure that I accomplished exactly what I wanted.

I wanted to use ribbon, I wanted to have multiple strands, I wanted to have dark chain.... no ~ I've never managed to do any of these things before... but I'm supposed to be thinking outside the box, right?

Sigh.... I know, it was just too much change for my tiny brain!


This is the first piece I completed. I know, I don't see any beautiful enameled beads either... and... yes, this piece looks suspiciously like my standard style. 

I like it, I love the beads, I also love the colors but there aren't any of the things I promised myself I would learn how to use.

So, I kept pondering and sketching and thinking and trying to combine all these amazing beads in to an incredible piece that would be the envy of the world!





Then came the little bird bracelet.

Better.....

               I love working with colored wire and I really love the little bird clasp. This piece felt like a combination of Yvonne Irwin and Kerry Bogert - I'm a huge fan of both of them so that part was good.

But....

             It wasn't quite what I was hoping to come up with.




So.........





Back to the drawing board.











Hmm....

I'm starting to feel a little bit better about where I'm getting to... I like the short piece of circle chain - and its dark (bonus!). Cording - like that too, not ribbon but I think it works with this piece. I like that I managed to use a lot of Johana's beads! I'm also feeling pretty good about the fact that its asymmetrical!

Everything you see here came from Johana.

Ooohh!! I love all the pieces that came together in this one. I like the whimsical feeling of the little butterfly hoovering near the flowers. 

Simple - colorful - fun!


So, I never did get the ribbon worked out - but there's always next time. I'll keep trying new things but I have the feeling that I'm going to stick to my creative roots too!

38 comments:

  1. Oh... Judy!! I'm speechless!! I love every single piece that you made and I really love the way you incorporate your style. I see that you had a wonderful time playing with them!! Absolutely stunning pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I remember your soup, it gave me a bad case of soup envy. What great beads to play with and what fun jewelry you made. My especial favorite was the wire with the bird clasp

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them all, but it is a tie for me...I love the bird bracelet with the wire and the little butterfly dangle just looks so beautiful!!! TERRIFIC job!! ~KM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking - those are both of the ones I like the best as well...now I just have to figure out something awesome for the remaining beads!

      Delete
  5. I'm officially suffering from Enamel Envy now :) The purple bird bracelet in particular is absolutely exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely recommend working with the enamel - even though the ones I was sent were pretty large - they don't weigh a thing... so if you're a fan of the big chunky type style thats so popular right now - Git You Some!!

      Delete
  6. Now this is fun! I love it when people don´t take jewelry too seriously. Your pieces make me (and anyone) happy! Should wear something like these in the dull office on Monday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bingo!! I'm always looking for the humor - in life and in my work!

      Delete
  7. I think you did branch out from your normal style -- you didn't leap miles away, but you did push yourself forward while keeping it "yours". The collection as a whole reads as a big smile of joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive spin! I'm normally completely happy with what I make - just felt a little 'off' on this one!

      Delete
  8. I think all your pieces are beautiful! You should step outside your comfort zone more often. The last one is definitely my favourite and something I would wear myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favourite is the bird bracelet; as the one of your partners was :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great enamel beads!! first necklace is my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's really hard trying to break yourself out from your normal style isn't it? But I think you did a fantastic job and I enjoyed following your journey through to your last necklace. And what a cracker it is too! Very different from your first piece (which is beautiful by the way), love the dangles and movement and colour. Really enjoyed your post and your gorgeous creations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Judy! Love to read your creative process ;0) I agree to the previous comments: getting out of your comfort zone droves you to making beautiful jewelry! The bird bracelet is too cute, the asymetrical (yes it is and I'm sure the more often you try it, the more often you will love it ;0)) necklace is a treasure! Thanks for sharing your story here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had such a crazy fun Soup!! Love the enamelled flowers and the little butterfly on the last necklace. But all your things are lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Judy, these pieces are so energizing and creative! I would love to work with beautiful enamel beads like these :) I think I love the story-telling butterfly necklace the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, yes, and yes, again. I like that you worked up to your challenges, step by step. And I don't mind that the little bird bracelet was step 2 and not really what you wanted to challenge yourself with. It's fantastic and I love it! I want it! LOL. Every thing is very pretty and I do like the way that butterfly "hovers" as you say. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed reading the design process. You have such a great sense of humour. I love all your pieces: the standard style bracelet (gorgeous, by the way) and the new style bangle and necklaces. I can't choose a favourite really. Excellent work.
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know what you mean about how hard it is to change your style, but I love how you got closer to your vision with each piece. All of them are really great. I love the whimsical feel, and frankly, I'm off to buy a bird clasp because I love how your bracelet looks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Judy, You chose good colors in the first bracelet. The bird clasp is cute as well as the bracelet you used it in. It is my favorite piece.Good job using the cord and making asymmetrical. I like the butterfly with the flowers. You don't have to wait for next year to use ribbon. Be bold and do it now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You made really fun pieces with your soup. I especially like the butterfly necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful bold, energetic and modern designs. I enjoyed reading about how you pushed yourself to try the new materials and techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What fantastic pieces! SO ADORABLE! You have such style and finesse - so wonderful, light and airy!

    Linda A.
    http://fromTheBeadBoard.blogspot.com
    http://cherryOnTopDesign.co

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think your description of simple, colorful, fun is probably the perfect way to describe these designs. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love all of it! Your bird bangle is awesome. I'm smitten over the blossom necklace. Nice job growing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous creations, I so love the bird bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, those two necklaces are amazing, love the colour, the components, they are just gorgeous! And the bracelets are also very bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your pieces and how whimsical they turned out. I love enamel beads and that bird is so fun. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You got a yummy soup from your partner and created beautiful pieces! Love your colored wire bracelet idea. Perfect match for the enameled beads!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lucky you, receiving such an amazing soup! I ♥love your pictures of the jewellry and the jewellery of course :-) happy and fun pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a cool result for such an awesome soup! Your pieces are so colorful and eclectic - I especially love the bird bracelet, it is so original!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Really creative soup! I love the mixture of colors, shapes and textures.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow...Love the pieces...but the one with the bird I adore! Excellent Job!

    veradesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. That pendant is so gorgeous and you certainly did it justice with your intricate design, made with just a small number of beads! I like your usual style bracelet and I also like the unique bird clasp bracelet! And I love the stacked focal of the last necklace! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I really really like the little butterfly necklace! I'm glad you stuck with what you wanted to do, it paid off! Great soup!

    ReplyDelete

We're dying to hear what you think!!

Pin It button on image hover